Trap triggered | SEEDS SALE 2017 | FACEBOOK | Gallery | Video channel | Camera Gears | Email me
Update: Best view in 1920 x 1080 resolution

Sunday 17 March 2013

Some Repoting & Pullings

As you see, I'm always not happy with something and I need to fix what I think I need to. I dislike the greenish slimy algae on some of the top soil of those new VFT and bottom of the pot. I also wanted them in bigger pots and am thinking of doing some pulling as well. This is going to be a long post. I'll try to keep it short, posting same stage of my procedure. It would make comparing much easier. Here goes...

Some of my thoughts before I started off was, to keep them in 100% dead sphagnum or Peat/Perlite. I tested both soil with the water I've soak them and the were both below 15PPM. I've decided on Peat/Petlite coz sphagnum looks too messy on the surface.

First, I took them out of the pot to inspect the soil, I've observe that only the top and some bottom were algae rich, but not the middle. Sphagnum breaks open easily but I hate how the roots were tangled in some of those moss twigs/stem. I was also in for a little surprise...

I've started off with Dantate X Dantate Seed Grown. I didnt think how roots these plant would have, it was a little thick too.
Image

Next I remove Big Mouth x Big Mouth Seed grown.
Image

I was in for a little surprise when I saw another small white part. Didn't think they divert at a year growth from seed.
Image

Last was the Red Piranha clone.
Image

Double happiness for another small whitish rhizome observed.
Image


The next step was to very carefully removing as much sphagnum in the roots as I could. There was more effort in this as some roots were really thin like hair, fragile too. I have some back ache after I finish the last plant.  :o

Dantate X Dantate Seed grown, boy the rhizome was long! I wonder why it didn't divert out a part or 2. Could it be uniquely different? Or was it the growth condition that it didn't think it was ready to divert out.
Image

Big Mouth X Big Mouth Seed grown, after carefully cleaning it I was taken back when I see another small rhizome drop loosely. This one has 2 diversion! Nope! I didn't break it.
Image

Here are some individual photos of the 3 Rhizome
1
Image

2
Image

3
Image


And the 2 Rhizome of Red Piranha
Image
Image


And of coz I took some effort to measure the entire plant length too, this will give be some views on how they were all grow in same pot in sphagnum and later for me to compare again in the peat/perlite I'm going to use for them.

Dantate X Dantate: The entire plant length was about 11 cm from plant top to root bottom
Image

Big Mouth X Big Mouth: There were about 10, 11 & 14 cm long.
Image

Red Piranha: 2.5 & 8 cm long, now this makes me wonder if bigger traps has longer roots. :?:
Image


And as you would have already thought or guessed, I took this opportunity to do some leaf pulling and even use a scalpel to cut off a part of a rhizome that has no leaf but only root attach. Some attempt were not good as some leaf didn't bring along part of the rhizome. But I'll try to grow it in 100% LFS anyway.

Dantate X Dantate Seed grow, I think this is a good part as it took along some rhizome, but the trap could have been already settle instead of a young growing trap which I think makes a batter pulling.
Image


Big Mouth X Big Mouth seed grown, a leaf pulling which almost didn't have a part of rhizome and a rhizome that didn't have any leaf but has a long root. I'm eager to see how these 2 turns out later.
Image

A Closer view on the rhizome, some old leaf has died off, so I'd use a scalpel to cut off this part of the rhizome
Image


And the Red Piranha, I took 2 leaf pull. 1 came off well with a small part of rhizome, the other didn't take any. So let's see how it goes later.
Image


They are now a little stress from repoting, lets hope they will recover in a few days time.
Dantate X Dantate has no clone, so this is the sole pot
Image


Big Mouth X Big Mouth, this is the biggest of the 3
Image


This is the smallest of the 3 if I remember correctly
Image


And this clone, my friend will be taking it later, I've decided to give him the nicer orientation of the 2 small pot
Image


Red Piranha, this is the bigger of the 2
Image


The smaller one goes back to the same pot it came from because of it's short root and small size.
Image


I also took the opportunity to pull off the biggest leaf of my cephalotus, it didn't reach down the rhizome and I couldn't see it too.
Image

Now these babies are sitting in this container to keep them humid with a cover.
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment